A manufacturer of cable systems has been searching for a solution that will let them know when lines have been impacted or damaged and might be on the ground. Because of the strength of the cables, it is possible that a downed or damaged power cable won’t break and will still be conducting electricity, creating a potential safety hazard.
Their utility customers want this information immediately and need the exact location of the issue in order to quickly correct problems in the field. It is also critically important that the solution not send false positives resulting in lost man-hours while they are checking miles of line with only the possibility of an issue.
Immediate information is needed to quickly correct any
- Atoms are installed on the cable spans.
- Atoms alert only when thresholds are exceeded. Alerts are sent via email and text message to the manufacturer and the utility.
- Thresholds are determined by the location of the device and are customizable based on the possible events anticipated in that area.
- Devices located in heavily treed areas have different thresholds vs. those that are in residential, industrial, or agricultural settings to ensure that alerts that are sent identify real issues in the field.
- G-force impact data is also captured in the dashboard, giving users the ability to review the data and understand the significance of the event before sending crews out to further investigate the issue.
AT-U1.0c Atoms are designed to survive in harsh outdoor environments.
- Atoms captured when lines were impacted by both excessive winds and by falling tree limbs, notifying the team when thresholds were exceeded.
- G-force Impact numbers told the team the severity of the impact, giving the team the information they needed to appropriately triage the event.
New Options for Cable Monitoring
Atoms solve challenges previously considered unsolvable. Check out these additional use cases and then contact us to schedule a demo today.